On this anniversary of the largest accidental marine oil spill in history, attention here in south Louisiana is focused on the consequences of that traumatic event. As the Deepwater Horizon disaster begins to recede into history, we have heard wildly divergent…
1) Japan is a ultra-modern super hi-tech futuristic city with neon lights everywhere. -Yes, modern. Yes, technologically advanced. And yes, there are many neon signs but its not like that everywhere. Approx. 70% of Japan is covered in mountains.
2) “So you speak Chinese?” -I have no idea why people still have a hard time understanding that Japanese people speak Japanese.
3) “Do you drift?” -Tokyo Drift is a MOVIE. In the city it is impossible to drift… There are people who drift but it isn’t common or popular.
4) “So you eat sushi everyday?” -I think Californians eat more sushi than an average Japanese haha. But really, people occasionally eat sushi. We have almost every kind of food in Japan. Italian food is pretty popular.
5) Japanese people are whale and dolphin killers and they eat them! -Ignorant. I’ve had whale once, but whale/dolphin meat are not sold at regular super markets and most Japanese people have never had either of them EVER.
3) Samurais! Ninjas! -What about them? There are no real samurais and ninjas in Japan anymore.
4) All Japanese people are short -Well Japanese people are asian so they tend to be shorter but the younger generation Japanese are quite tall.
5) Japan is dangerouse (Yakuzas…etc.) -Yes, there are Yakuzas, but we rarely have street crimes and low homocide rate.
6) Japan is safe and very organized -Somewhat true. Though a highschooler can easily buy an alcoholic beverage -rarely do they ask for an ID. And like any other country, there are shady stuff -sex clubs/brothels, underage prostitutions…etc..
7) Japanese girls dress like this:
-Nope. Look at me, I’m not geisha, lollita, nor a gal. There are lollitas and gal but not everyone are like this.